Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef (Australia)


Our next leg of the trip was an easy drive from Shute Harbour to Cairns.  Though it was a somewhat long, about 8 hours, it was easy and daylight the entire time.  We pulled into Cairns city center, found our hostel and settled into our rooms.  Jared was heading out for a five day diving cruise the next morning, so he packed all of his essential stuff, and stashed everything else under my bed.  The hostel had a dinner special with a bar down the street; Jared wasn’t interested but came with me to check it out, and I think got a bit of dinner envy.  I ordered the meat pie with mashed potatoes and veggies, and it was MASSIVE!!!  I could see poor Jared salivating through his eyeballs, so I feigned being full and let him have some, then we both topped off dinner with a Clif Bar.  We were pretty tired, so we called it a night early.
The next morning, Jared was up at some obscene hour to work out, then set out for his diving cruise while I set out for my work out.  I saw a lot of the photos from the trip, when he came back, and he told me the highlights were either all the sharks at North Horn or a dive at Ribbon reef with so much life and color, where he could swim thru small schools of fish getting really close and gliding thru without them swimming away.  Occasionally, Jared would have wifi on his supped up vessel, and tell me he was having a great time, and doing a massive amounts of dives.  Bear in mind at this point in my description, that getting said information at of him, Lord, sometimes is like pulling teeth!!
Anyway, my time in Cairns was uber relaxing.  I would casually walk around town getting a few last minute things together, oh I bought a Kmart tent for three people for $32!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is unheard of!!  Our four man tent we bought in the US was like $260 or something!!  Anyway, that was a great find.  Most mornings I would do a little workout along the water.  This was the first city that had wifi everywhere, so I got to FaceTime a bit, and was generally happy to just lounge around.  There was a really big pool that was built right on the boardwalk overlooking the ocean.  A great place to get in some writing and catching up.  I was still trying to run off of the food that Jared brought, so breakfast and lunch was leftover stuff from him, and at night I would get the dinner special at the bar down the street with a few roomies from the hostel.
The day after Jared left, I went out on a snorkel cruise of two reefs in the Great Barrier Reef, Saxon and North Hastings.  I woke up early that morning and was picked up by a bus and shuttled over to the port.  I found my boat, and along with a big group of people, rode out for the day.  The first reef was Saxon, then we had a buffet lunch and headed out to North Hastings.  Both reefs were really wonderful, but they saved the best for last.  North Hastings was a lagoon, and the life under the water was just breathtaking.  There was so much to see, such large areas of coral and sea life, and right at the surface of the water, so the colors were SO vibrant.  I was really amazing to see neon colors in nature.  My favorite fish was the Parrot fish; not sure if you’ve ever heard of it, but they are the most bright neon colors, magenta, teal, lime green, orange etc and all neon, really really beautiful.  I got to see where Nemo lives, which is a cool floating bubbly jelly-looking thing with soft tendrils sticking out, and you could see the little fish swimming in and out.  Apparently, it is very poisonous, but the fish that are born and bred inside are immune to the poison.  You know how when you see coral pieces on land, they are so rough and calloused, well in the water it all just looks so fluffy and welcoming, all I wanted to do was snuggle into the soft coral flowers and little fish cities, though I’d probably die from something.  Apparently, quite often, the prettier it is the more deadly, so opted against it.  Also, I’ve heard that just touching the coral can kill it and these massive sea life reef take hundreds of years to form.  At one point, I saw some JackA actually standing on the coral bed!!!  He got yelled at by the crew members, but I was just about ready to leave him out there Open Water style (the movie).  Anyway, it was a really amazing experience.  At the end, I rode in a “semi-submergable” boat, where the bottom of the was glass, so I could attempt to take some photos underwater (basically unsuccessfully).  THEN!!!!  The most exciting part!!  I opted to ride in a helicopter back to Cairns, and I lucked out!  I was riding back with two other people, one of whom was old high school friends with the pilot, so we got a few extras on the ride.  We all jumped into a small boat that took us to the floating helipad, where we boarded the helicopter.  The pilot flew us over a few different reefs and even landed on a sand island.  The ride was soooooo much fun and definitely one of the coolest things I ever done!  Most people don’t opt for the helicopter ride over the reef, because it is a bit more expensive, but I would highly recommend just splurging a bit and getting the flight!
The rest of the time was passed as I mentioned earlier, morning workouts, afternoon chatting and playing on the internet, and evening dinners.  Every night was pretty sedate.  I did go out in Friday night with some of the people from the hostel, little bit of dancing and drinking which was nice.   But for the most part it was nice to relax and tie up the few loose ends from leaving Sydney. 
Jared came back on the 1st early in the morning, having had an amazing time, but happy be to off a boat and dived out.  We finished up a bit of packing and picked up a rental car to drive to Cape Tribulation up north.  We haphazardly threw everything into the teeniest car rentable, and drove north along the coast.  As we left Cairns pretty early and the drive was short, we were able to make the drive leisurely, stopping occasionally for photo ops and a few hiking trails through the Daintree Rainforest.  The big predator in the region are salt water crocodiles, so basically going near any water source can technically be incredibly dangerous.  Just to preface you on salt water crocodiles, according to an Australian crocodile researcher they are the most dangerous predator, because they see hunting more as a sport than a survival instinct.  I guess most other animals will attach you if they either feel threatened or need food.  Salt water crocodiles however, will stalk prey for weeks if they like.  When researching different locations in northern Australia, warning advise to just stay away from water sources, but also things like not returning to the same spots for several days in a row, making sure to change walking routes and again, just maybe staying away from all water.  We thought about taking a cruise down the river to check out the crocs, but opted against it in the end.  We arrived at our camp site in Cape Tribulation early evening, set up our tent, and explored a bit.  I was a bit nervous about the “exploring” part, because we were staying very close to the beach and river inlet, but Jared assured me he would run slower than me if we saw a croc ;).  We actually stubbled upon a man fishing who asked if we had seen the croc that had been lingering in that area recently, awesome.  When our adventure hike was done, we had a bit of time before dinner, so we walked some tv on Jared’s computer, then jumped in the car for a super quick drive down the road to a roadside restaurant.  Yes guys, we went to an actual restaurant, well like really small town style restaurant.  We had seen on our way in that this restaurant served crocodile, so we ended up ordering a surprisingly really good dinner of crocodile, emu and kangaroo miniburgers, accompanied by a fruit called taro that had been fried up like French fries and another fruit called choko that was served with a pinch of salt; the sides were a really great surprise as neither of us had heard of them and they were both very tasty.  Also, the burgers were good, and crocodile tastes like chicken!  After we finished dinner, it was very dark out, which meant (when camping) it was bedtime.  The next day we had to drive back to Cairns to make our flight really really early in the morning, so an early bedtime was necessary.
Usual rocking sleep, until 4:30 am when the alarm went off, ug.  We quickly packed up our stuff, Jared made us coffee and we started the drive back to Cairns.  Apparently, I was pretty tired at that hour because when I pulled out onto the main road, I drove the first several 100 meters, on the wrong side of the road…right for you guys, wrong for us, before Jared brought it my attention.  We caught the first ferry back across the river, and actually arrived in Cairns a little over an hour before we had to return the car, so we decided to park it in the center of town and take advantage of the free wifi before heading to the airport. 
Once at the airport we had another several hours before we could even check in.  A big shout out to Luca and Erin for the Scopa card game, that kept us occupied for a while before heading out to Darwin!    

No comments:

Post a Comment