Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I've Suddenly Realized This is a Terrible Idea! (Mexico)

That's exactly what clint said as we were crossing the bridge into Mexico... Finalllyyy we are in Mexico! We left Houston a bit late, had to stop 5 times on our way to Laredo to secure the roof and had to spend a good amount of time looking for a place to stay last night. There is no doubt that we blend in with our roof "compartment". However, we do have to unpack and repack the roof everyday. Today we got it packed in about 30 minutes and didn't have to stop to secure it, so in the not so distant future we should work like a well oiled machine.

We are all pretty pooped everyday, but also super siked to b..e in Mexico. Jared did all of the driving like a champ today. I was his navigator...we only got lost twice!! The border completely freaked out the two guys (thanks a lot to everyone that told them horror stories about Mexico). But everyone is super nice and helpful. I think it also helps that we look like complete fools with this teenie car and huge roof compartment. Both the Usa border patrolman and the federale in Mexico kind of laughed at us when I enthusiastically answered "south America" when they asked where we were going. Everything went very smoothly at the border. Jared got our car insurance this morning before crossing (they never even asked if we had any at the border). We paid a total of $300 (refundable) for the FMM bond, $25 each for an entry visa, and $50 for the car permit. After that we took the toll road all the way to Monterrey. Super smooth, however the tolls are like $14! But I think we all preferred to have piece of mind with the huge compartment up top.




  In Monterrey we had a bit of trouble navigating the streets to find the hostel but after several seven elevens (el siete, as they call it here) to ask for directions to "barrio antiguo " we found it and the guys are very comfortable with Mexico now! Thanks hostelworld.com! We are gonna hang here a bit longer, I think because we are so tired and have such a long drive to tampico. So in summary...Mexico is awesome thus far!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jared, Kathleen, and Clint. I am Clint's step grandmother Pam. So in the future, I will just identify myself as Pam. I think you all are brave and full of adventure. I envy that quality. Back in the stone age, , I went to Monterrey Mexico when I was 17 years old to represent the USA for a gymnastic exhibition. We were treated very well by the Mexicans. We were entertained at the Govenors compound where delicious mexican food was prepared to feed our hungry gymnasts. At the time, my hair color was platinum blonde, and roaming the streets of Monterrey at all the markets, I stood out like a hooker! Of course that wasn't intentional. They told us to blend in, don't call attention to yourself, and be mindful of the cultural differences. Well, that didn't work out too well for me! So I was followed, whistled at, and offered things that I was sure I probably didn't want. So I bought a mexican scarf, wrapped my head, and watched the cartoon "popeye" in spanish in the lobby of the hotel... Popeye is really funny in Spanish. Anyway, just stay together, enjoy the culture, and don't dye your hair platinum blonde! Lol. I am looking forward hesring about your adventures. ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete