Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Manado, North Sulawesi (Indonesia)

The trip back to Makassar from Tana Toraja was easy enough, another long bus ride meandering through the green lush mountains, through the occasional sparsely inhabited villages, back to the busy city of Makassar.  We spent one more quick night, before leaving for the airport to fly to Manado in North Sulawesi.  As usual when disembarking from the flight, we felt the stifling heat of the tropics, picked up our bags and made our way out for a taxi, which made its way to our hotel, Top Hotel.  When we arrived at the hotel, we checked in to our triple room, and wouldn’t ya know it, again, they were all confused about what a triple room entailed.  “We don’t have rooms with three beds.”  Really?  Because, online you say you do!  After a bit of back and forth, and me, as nicely as possible, trying to explain that I will not be charged for an extra room when you advertised yourselves falsely, they finally succumbed and we were able to get two rooms for the price of their one “triple room.”  After settling in, I outlined a bit of a game plan for the next few days.  One of the things, for which Manado is most famous is diving and snorkeling off the coast of Bunaken Island, so I had booked that in advance; one day done.  The hotel helped me arrange a tour of the area for the next day.  After figuring logistics, I made my way around town a bit, passing street vendors, throngs of playing children, and traffic.  Crossing the larger street was a bit challenging, but I would try to mostly find a group of locals crossing and using their bodies as human shields between me and the approaching traffic; occasionally, I just had to try to book it across the six lane highways.  I think my white skin and blonde hair helps me in those types of situations.  After exploring a bit and finding dinner at a local popular outdoor food stall, I made my way back to the hotel for some sleep.
I enjoyed a good filling buffet style breakfast of a mix between odd western foods, like hotdogs and eggs, and local fare, like fried noodles with vegetables.  The tour driver showed up early, and I was ready with my day bag.  We had two locations on the itinerary for that day, a small volcano hike and Tangkoko Nature Reserve.  He drove for a bit outside of the city before arriving at the volcano “hike”.  On its best day, it’s barely a hike.  The path was almost entirely paved with bricks or tiles, and plaster columns lining the side of the railing.  We ascended the stairs, only hitting actual dirt for a few hundred meters before reaching the “summit”, where one of the most uninspiring monuments I’ve seen stood tall, made worse by the massive amount of cable wires maintaining it erect.  Even the view of the land below was obstructed by the thick black cable wires.  We took a break to wipe off the massive amount of sweat accumulated, not due to the hike itself but the oppressive heat, before deciding not to take any photos at all, and finding a different smaller route down.  The most interesting part of the hike we would have missed, had we not found the other route, which gently sloped down and opened up to three unexpected religious houses of worship, a Hindu temple, alongside a Buddhist temple, alongside a Christian church.  There was no one around, and not much of a surrounding village, so I couldn’t find out much history, but never-the-less, I was quite surprised to see the places of worship of three of the bigger religions in the world, seemingly arm in arm, atop a mountain.  Despite being deserted at the time, I could tell the place was cared for and used.  After circling in wonder, I found a nicely manicured set of steps, which bordered a sulfuric volcanic crater, and led to the bottom of the hill.  I hadn’t noticed initially, but, at the bottom, there was a tall four sided monument with plaques representing each religion.  There was writing in Bahasa, but no one was around to translate, so I left feeling a bit at a loss, but very intrigued.  Next, the car ride to Tankoko Nature Reserve was a bit longer of a ride, but I was excited to visit, because it is a sanctuary and research facility for macaques and tarsiers, the world’s tiniest monkeys!  When I arrived, I was introduced to the guide, who spoke English.  There didn’t seem to be any one else around, or any sort of self-guided walks, so I would have had no idea where to start without the guide.  In fact, the walk which she led was mostly off any sort of path, but instead traversed jungle overgrowth.  She treaded easily, but I found myself occasionally caught in the thorny bushes and having to struggle through low-lying vines and branches.  While I was preoccupied with my footing, she stopped and pointed out a family of black macaques, walking right past.  Some were lounging in trees, others were dangling and jumping from branch to branch. Some were great beasts and others tiny little monkey-lings.  I was dumbfounded, we really were getting to see these macaques in the wild!  I tried to take a hundred photos, before they passed before my eyes.  Luckily, we continued through the jungle and for about two hours stumbled about countless groups of macaques roaming about.  At one point, we met some young American girls who worked at the sanctuary, studying the habits of these animals.  They weren’t as interactive as the monkey in Ubud’s Sacred Monkey Sanctuary, but they clearly recognized humans and did not shy away; they mostly just briefly hesitated when crossing the path in front of us, and scurried past.  As the day wore on, she guided us to a farther into the jungle, explaining she would search out the illusive tarsier monkey, which only came out at dusk.  It was again lucky I had a guide, because apparently they slept in the hole of trees, and she could somehow tell which trees potentially held the tiny monkeys.   We sat next to one tree for about an hour as the sun set, before she perked up, shining a flash light toward a hole where she noticed the tiniest movement.  We all got up and tried to clamber over one another in an attempt to spot what she saw, and only after a few more minutes, did a little bitty monkey head pop out of the hole.  Oh my god…it was the cutest thing ever!  So small, it could fit into the cup of your hand; with huge beady eyes, big ears pointing up and suction cup finger tips, it would bounce around the tree from hiding spot to hiding spot.  As we watched, a few more would make a quick appearance.  Sometimes, we were lucky to find one curious enough to sit still, watching us, while we madly took photos.  They really sort of looked more like rats or gerbils, but way cuter than a rat…probably because it was called a monkey…and didn’t scamper across my feet after eating trash off the street.  Anyway, I made circles around the tree, searching out as many as I could find, until sunlight was barely reaching through the tree canopies, at which time, the guide handed out flashlights, and we made our way back to the main road, where the driver awaited, finally making it back in the pitch black.  I loaded up into the car, and arrived back at Top Hotel in Manado for a quick dinner in town before a shower and bed. 
The next day was pretty “eventless”.  There was nothing actually planned, but I spent the day walking around the city.  The most notable moment, however was getting to try Kopi Luwak, one of the world’s most expensive types of coffee.  It’s often crudely referred to as “poop coffee”, because it is gathered from the excrement of an Asian Palm Civet, also called a toddy cat.  It is believed that the yield from this type of gathering method is superior, because the animal will only select better beans to consume, and the digestive process supposedly improves the flavor.  At the coffee shop, I ordered my coffee, and a few minutes later a woman brought a science project to the table.  There was a Bunsen burner and two rounded beakers perched on of one another, connected by a hollow glass tube.  The bottom beaker, just above the Bunsen burner contained a small amount of water, the hollow glass tube connected the two round beakers with one end submerged in the water.  The top beaker contained grounded coffee.  The woman lit the burner, and I watched in awe and suspense as the water slower started the develop bubbles until it was fully boiling.  As it heated, the water rose up through the center hollow glass tube into the top container with the coffee, until all of the water was in the top beaker mixing with the coffee grind.  The fire burnt down and then allowed mixed coffee to slowly drip back down into the bottom beaker once again.  When the whole process was finished, the woman came back over and poured the science project’s result into a small mug for me to enjoy. 
Kopi Luwak is said to be one of coffee’s purest forms, so milk or sugar is discouraged.  I drank the black thick coffee, not quite sure what to expect.  It’s always interesting experiencing moments like this, where a lowly plebe like myself touches on some of the world’s most prized experiences, but I gotta say…it kinda just tasted like strong coffee :/  I mean it was good!  Don’t get me wrong!  Better than anything at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, but I’m just not sure I had the coffee palate to really appreciate it.  So anyway, yea that happened!  After indulging in some expensive world class coffee and some top notch wifi, I walked around a mall a bit, enjoying the air conditioning, and window shopping, followed by a bit more city perusing.  That night, we went to dinner for one of the better meals I had in Indonesia, a large satay restaurant, where I ordered different types of marinated meats, all brought out on skewers over a small personal grill with hot coals.  Man that meal was good!  At the end of the night, fat and happy, I made my way back through the crowds to the hotel, washed up, enjoyed the cool air conditioning again and laid down for bed.
An early morning started the next day, again enjoying the good hotel breakfast before a shuttle came for my day of snorkeling! 
I was driven to a fancy resort with private individual bungalows, and had some coffee, while I waited.  A few of us loaded up a boat with snorkel gear and diving equipment and the boat set out into the water toward the island of Bunaken.  We spent hours on the water, popping around to different reefs, swimming amongst the sea life, spotting turtles, bright spotted purple clams that retracted and shut their mouth when you put your hand near, and thankfully no sharks!  The colors were bright, neon and wonderful, and the sea life was probably about a meter deep, which I always prefer.  I did unfortunately get a bit more burnt that I wanted, despite my rash guard, but enjoyed the overall experience.  After ages on the water, fully exhausted from so much sun time, we were brought back to the mainland, and shuttled back to our hotel for a relaxed evening and another satay dinner!
Manado was great, despite being small and not part of the wild cultural experience I usually revel, I was able to combine both nature, hiking and monkeys (!), with beautiful water and snorkeling.  So often when floating around, you kind of have to pick a location for either one or the other.  It’s a bit of a hike to get there, and there’s nothing else really around, but it’s a lovely spot with nice people and great food.  Off I went in search of more that Indonesia had to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment