Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Where God Vacations (Cook Islands)

Leaving Europe to return to the Pacific was about as crummy as leaving the Pacific to go to Europe; actually it was worse, since I almost didn’t make it back to the Pacific.  Wow, that seems like so long ago.  Anyway, I left the town of Monte San Vito at 3pm on Tuesday Nov 5th and spent almost 60 hours in transit, stopping in three continents, and crossing the International Date Line twice.
I gave myself plenty of time initially, sleeping in the airport the night before my flight so I didn’t have to rush to the airport really early in the morning.  My first layover was a short two hours in London.  Predictably, that flight was uncomplicated, unfortunately the transfer was not.  In Rome, they were unable to print all of my tickets through to the Cook Islands.  The woman wasn’t sure why, but assumed it had something to do with Air New Zealand and that maybe they needed to print their own tickets for some reason, but she instructed me on exactly what to do in London.  When I arrived in London, I immediately made my way over to a different terminal and the Air New Zealand desk to print my other boarding passes.  Many countries, including the Cook Islands, require a departure flight to be already purchased prior to entry, which I had.  Jared had in fact purchased all of our tickets through to January, so I was set for the next few destinations.  The woman asked for the proof that I was exiting the Cook Islands, so I showed her my ticket to Samoa.  Then for some reason she wanted to see my subsequent tickets exiting each country I was visiting.  Once I got to Indonesia without a ticket out, she informed me that, because I did not have any ticket to a country where I had a “right to abode”, that I could not board my flight to the Cook Islands.  She said I needed a ticket home.  I explained my traveling situation, and my previous experiences with this type of requirement; many of the countries we’ve visiting have this requirement, and according to those experiences, as well as the US State Department website, each individual country requires proof of exit, not proof of exit to a country where I have the “right to adobe”.  The Cook Islands doesn’t give a S*#@ where I go, as long as I go.  She called her supervisor who confirmed what she said.  Then she informed me that, they were very sorry, but because we had been discussing this for so long, the flight had actually closed and I wouldn’t make the connection.  I freaked.  I got on the phone with the supervisor explaining that a) they were both being f*$#&@^ morons b) neither of them was an immigration officer and c) THEY WERE WRONG, oh yea and d) I paid close to 2k for this flight, I was not missing it because they were dragging ass.  I’m kind of surprised they didn’t call security…people were staring.  Anyway, at some point, the supervisor realized she was wrong, made up some story about finding a visa for me to go to New Zealand (I haven’t even applied for the visa yet, and she could never look up my visa status without information like, you know, my birthday and passport number).  Anyway, whatever.  They printed off my boarding pass, I gave them the biggest eye roll of my life and hauled A to my gate.  The rest of my flights, though long, were all hassle free.
I finally arrived in sunny and warm Rarotonga, Cook Islands in the afternoon.  I was so excited! Everyone always seems especially excited when arriving to a location like this.  I made it easily through customs, and went to pick up my bag…which never came.  Yes, the airline had lost my bag somewhere; I don’t want to point any fingers, but London, I’m looking at you.  Not a big deal, the airline gave me $100 to spend on a few items, and the only things I’d need for the next week were a bathing suit, flip flops and a sarong.  I just crossed my fingers that the bag wasn’t gone forever, and promptly brushed it off.  Jared was arriving from Tahiti not long after me, so I waited a bit for him to arrive.  He had arranged a pickup from the airport, so when he arrived we both met our transfer and drove to our hostel.  Most of that day was gone, so we just settled into the hostel and walked down the block to the beach.  The island is surrounded by a reef lagoon, so the water looked especially clear and pristine with lots of coral easily seen and coral fish.  We were really excited to explore the island and fantastic beaches, but we were pretty exhausted, so instead we spent a bit of time planning out our activities for the next few days.  We had an early dinner that night, watched a movie and passed out; my jetlag was setting in.   
The next day, I woke up retardly early…like 1am early, and couldn’t fall back asleep; ug, jetlag.  Anyway, around 7am Jared FINALLY woke up, lazy bones haha.  We had a small breakfast, mostly because we had no food, and set out.  There is one main road on the island, circumventing the entire island right on the coast.  In accordance, there are two buses, labeled “clockwise” or “anti-clockwise”.  We got on the bus heading to town (clockwise).  We needed to pick up some groceries, and I had to get some beach appropriate attire.  All I had were my pants (not appropriate hot island attire), an XXL see-through T-shirt the airline had given me the day before, and my stinky clothes from 3 days in airports.  We had a nice walk through town, and I got a bathing suit and sarong.  We had been warned not to buy produce, as it was much more expensive here, but we were not prepared for how expensive everything else would be as well.  A small can of tuna was over $4, zucchini was $18 a kilo, a bag of pasta $4 (the kind that was normally 65 cents).  Anyway, we had to get a bit creative, but we found things for our budget.  Once we had loaded up our bags with the things we needed, we made our way to the Cross Island Walk and Needle Walk.  This walk went directly through the island from one side to the other, climbing Te Rua Manga to “The Needle”, a large sheer edged rock piercing up through the top of the mountain.  The day started off very hot, but once we got into the forest canopy, the temperature drastically dropped, making the hike tolerable.  The ascent itself was pretty easy; it was mostly a slight incline, and then a sharp continuous climb for probably a touch under 300 meters.  The climb brought us up to The Needle, where we could see the coastline along almost the entire southern and western coasts.  At the top, we met a few people from the US.  One was the pilot of a drone plane being flown around the island for tourism photos and videos.  Apparently, he took some pretty neat footage of me and Jared right at the edge of The Needle; we’ve gotten his business card, so hopefully you all will get to see that footage if we ever get it.  We also met a young guy who worked for a tourism agency (he was at work at the time…tough life), who could not recommend an island called Aitutaku enough.  Jared knew of the island; we had discussed visiting Aitutaki.  I opted out, because the plane ticket cost over $400, but Jared decided he would splurge and buy the ticket, so he was already planning on going.  Anyway, after discussing it with the tour guide, he really sold the trip well, and I started to rethink my decision to bypass this island.  Apparently, it’s the “undeveloped Bora Bora”.  We spent a bit of time snapping photos and taking in the amazing landscape before making our way down the other side of the mountain to the other side of the island.  When we got to the end of the hike, we passed some people I had noticed on my plane the day before.  Oh, Lord, I should mention this.  The people here are the nicest I have ever met.  They will literally call you out from across the street as you’re minding your own business, to just to say hello and wave.  Everyone waves to everyone else, says good morning, offers what they have.  It really struck us.  Anyway, so we walked past these people and waved our hellos and continued on our way.  A few minutes later, as we were walking down the road, they pulled up behind us and offered a ride!  As we drove down, we realized we had a much longer walk down the road than we anticipated, and we had a bit of casual conversation with them, discussing all the fantastic things about….Aitutaki.  They were locals and one of the couples was actually getting married there that week.  BAH!!!  I was really starting to regret my decision to forego that island.  When they dropped us off at the hostel…my bag was back!!!!  Jared and I started discussing my option to come to Aitutaki, and I decided I would bite the bullet, cut out other activities in other islands and make it work!  After a bit, we put on our swimsuits and walked out to the beach at the end of our street, not so much for swimming as for grooming.  Yes, Jared and I have decided to cut each other’s hair.  I had done Jared’s once in Australia and it turned out really well, but Jared had refused to do mine before Bita’s wedding (haha), so I was in desperate need.  Part of my homework in Italy was to figure out how to cut my hair, so I could instruct Jared.  Anyway, they both turned out well; surprisingly, though mine had a lot more instructions, it took about half the time of trying to perfectly fade his hair.  After we beautified, we had a quick dip and headed back to our hostel for dinner.  My jetlag had done a number on me, so after dinner, we watched another movie in bed and went to sleep.
I again woke up at a retardedly early hour, 3am this time.  At a more appropriate hour, Jared woke up and we had our tea and breakfast.  That day, we decided to rent a scooter.  The scooter is a really common way to get around as there are only the two buses.  We got ourselves out to the bus stop nice and early, and ended up having to wait an hour for the bus to come around.  We probably could have just walked to the scooter rental location in the amount of time it took us to wait, but we did not know that at the time.  After a short ride on the bus, we picked up our temporary motorcycle license (yes, apparently you need one to rent a bike here, and yes, they will just give you an actual motorcycle license for 24 hours without asking any questions).  Jared drove us into town, where we went to the Rarotonga Saturday morning market.  As you might imagine, there were lots of fruit and vegetable stalls, prepared foods, sarongs, hats, jewelry and especially black pearls; apparently the only places to actually get black pearls are here or Tahiti, the rest are manmade.  I bought a pawpaw fruit, as I had never heard of it or seen one, but we saw an abundance on our hike the day before.  I also bought 2 small solitary black pearls.  The cheapest pearls were solitary, not on a necklace, and you could really get one for a steal if you looked well.  We went to ever pearl vendor and then doubled back to the best ones.  The market also had a small traditional drum and dancing show.  After a few hours of meandering, we got back on the scooter and stopped back at the hostel for quick lunch, before setting out to the beach.  We opted to explore Muri beach that time, as it was the highest recommended around the island.  The beach did not disappoint; the water was perfect, warm and clear.  We relaxed in the water and walked up and down the beach for a few hours.  As the later hours of the afternoon rolled in, we got back on the scooter, and opted to see the other areas of the island.  We drove the long way back around the island, pulling into some of the back roads leading to people’s land and homes.  When we got back to the hostel, we showered up and got pretty.  We were going to a traditional drum and island dancing show with dinner.  We drove back down toward Muri beach, and into Te Vara Nui village, where the show would take place.  The night we had so much good food, that we felt genuinely uncomfortable; curried pawpaw, ika mata, fried rice, lamb baked in taro leaves, bread pudding, salad, potato scallops, marinated taro leaves, and the list went on and on.  After dinner, we got to enjoy a show with traditional island drumming accompanied by male and female dancers with their grass skirts, shell jewelry, and head pieces, and fire dancers.  After the show, dancers pulled up random people from the audience to dance; obviously I got pulled up, despite my strategy of carefully examining the roof rafters as the dancer came through to the table to choose someone; I could barely move I was so full, but I feel like that was sort of normal for most people there.  After the mini-post show, we stuffed ourselves just a bit more with several types of dessert.  We were more full than we’ve been in a very very very long time.  Honestly, we just don’t really know how to control ourselves at buffets.  I think we’ve conditioned ourselves to attempt to store food for long periods of time as if we are going into a state of hibernation…but we’re not!!  Anyway, in the end, we got back on the scooter and made the uncomfortable journey back to the hostel. 
The next morning, we decided to hike to the tallest peak in Rarotonga, Te Manga, followed by some beach time.  We returned the scooter in the morning and caught the bus to the other side of the island.  We asked the bus driver to drop us off around the entrance to the track, but a while after passing what we thought were the landmarks close to the track, the bus driver pulled over and informed us that we had passed the track several kilometers behind us.  Soooo, instead of attempted the hike, we opted to just continue on to the beach!  We settled into the sand and sun and clear water lagoon for several hours.  After our skin had just about enough sun, we made our way back out to the road and waited for the bus for a while, before being informed by a local that the buses stopped running at 4pm on Sunday.  It was 4:30pm.  Oh well, we started the very long walk back while thumbing for a ride from a kind car-owning citizen.  After not long, a man with his daughter pulled over, picked us up, and went several kilometers out of their way to drop us off right at our hostel, while his dog mauled us in the back seat…Jared loved it.  On our way home from the beach, we realized that I had made a bit of a mistake when I booked my flight to Aitutaki…for the next day, Monday…or was it the 12th?  Damn.  We got the date and day mixed up, so I booked my flight for Monday instead of Tuesday, when Jared had already booked his.  That night, I washed up a bit of clothing and pre-emptively packed my things just in case I had to leave the next day, before eating our dinner and heading to bed.
First thing, the next morning, I called the small local airline company, Air Rarotonga, and they allowed me to change my ticket without charging me!!!  I told you, nicest people ever!!  Anyway, we were excited that got resolved without issue; it wouldn’t have been a huge deal, but I had already paid for the Rarotonga hostel and I had no way of contacting the Aitutaki accommodation to get myself a room a night early, but all’s well that ends well.  Since we had missed the hike the day before, we attempted it again, this time getting dropped off at the correct location.  We made our way through the neighborhood up to the hiking track.  Right before hitting the track, we asked a man in his front yard if we were going in the right direction.  He pointed us in the right direction and offered his three dogs to accompany us along the walk, saying “just follow the dogs”; Jared was ecstatic.  We had talked to a few locals about the hike, all of whom either had never heard of it, never done it, or had done it ages ago but were pretty sure the trail wasn’t around anymore.  Option number three was the most accurate; thankfully though, the dogs did know the exact route.  That track was probably the least maintained hiking track we’ve done.  It was kind of neat to feel like we were exploring an area that had been left to nature’s devices for such a long time.  For the most part, the hike was not difficult, however, it did get to a point where things got a bit dangerous.  I don’t mind a bit of adventure, but when the track is so overgrown that you can’t see the snags and roots growing up through the path, the path is under a foot wide, and on both sides of your one-foot-wide path is a sheer drop, I get a bit nervous.  Jared was also a lot faster than me, so he would disappear for ages while I was having a nervous breakdown.  At one point, I freaked out, because I was climbing up a rope thrown down a rock face and apparently the stupid rope was snagged on some root at the top.  As I got higher to rope came lose and jerked me down.  I mean, I enjoy “feeling” like an adventurous explorer…but I am not an adventurous explorer!!!  I need the dumbed down version; the bumpers from the bowling alley, if you will.  Anyway, we made it just about to the top before fog starting setting in.  We basically decided we had kicked butt and would turn around for a very miserable descent before the fog completely settled around us.  The dogs were useful on the way up, but basically left us in the dust on the way down, so we did get a bit lost off the track, but were able to make our way back luckily; getting lost in a rainforest is always a bit of a scary prospect.  We were told the hike would take about 2 hours.  In totally it took us over 4 hours, so I’m not sure where they were getting their figures.  The day was sooooo humid, we were pretty tired.  We grabbed a few groceries and an ice cream reward before getting on the bus back to the hostel.  After a much needed shower, we made a nice big dinner and packed up our stuff to go to Aitutaki the next day!!
We had a very lazy start as our flight wasn’t leaving until the afternoon.  We hung around the hostel reading and chatting with people before making our way to the airport on the bus.  After an easy check-in, there was absolutely no security screening to go through, we boarded the 45 minute flight to Aitutaki.  I should mention, this place came highly recommended to Jared from a couple we met in Mexico last year; he again saw them serendipitously in Italy when he travelled there for his vacation from Afghanistan.  Jared had booked himself into a bungalow accommodation ages ago, but we had no way of letting them know I was coming, so we sort of just crossed our fingers and hoped they would be obliging.  We met Tracey, one of the managers of our accommodation at the airport, and she was happy to adjust for one more.  We drove a short distance to Matriki, our accommodation, where we were set up in a private bungalow right on the beach!!!  It was A-MAZING!!  The bungalow came with its own fully stocked kitchenette and balcony with a table and chairs looking out over the water.  WWooooooowwwww!!!!  We set our stuff up and then set out with Tracey to town to pick up some fruit for our breakfasts.  When we got back, it was pretty hot out, so first thing, we got into our swimsuits and ventured into the water, which felt like bathwater!!!  It was so perfectly clear, with bits of coral and coral fish scattered around.  The island was encapsulated by a shallow reef, so you could walk for ages through the water and not get into anything over your neck.  It was already the early evening, so we took a stroll down the beach before coming back to Matriki to sit and watch the sunset over the water, munching on coconut meat…you know…from a coconut we found on the ground.  That night we made some dinner, opened up a bottle of wine, and sat on our balcony for a nice dinner.  Perfection!
The next morning, my sleep schedule was still a bit off, so I woke up pretty early, and did a bit of yoga on the beach before Jared woke up.  We then had a breakfast of tea, fruit salad of pawpaw and bananas with honeyed toast.  Yum!  After packing a beach bag, we grabbed one of the scooters at the accommodation made available to people staying there.  We drove all the way around the island to the other side, and up to the highest point of the island, which revealed the most amazing view of the island, the lagoon, and the ocean surrounding.  Lord, just check out the pictures.  The day was exceedingly hot and humid; Jared and I both completely sweat through our clothes, so after taking in the view sufficiently, we headed to Ootu beach, supposedly the best beach.  Ohhh MMyyyyy GGoooddddddd!!!!!!!!!  I can’t even describe it well enough.  It was so amazing, with ever color of blue fading into each other.  You could walk for ages through the most clear water.  When I have normally described ocean water, it’s been in varying degrees of blue, but so much of this was clear like tap water.  The sand was so soft underfoot.  The people and place just seemed to ooze happiness.  We met so many other people walking around, and everyone was just the nicest and in the best mood ever, including us!  There must be something in the air there, because we were on Cloud 9!  After a bit of lounging and walking and way more than a bit of gushing, we hopped back on the scooter (I would only go if Jared promised we’d come back) to grab lunch back in our…you know…beach front bungalow!!!!!!!!!!!  I can’t even get enough of thinking about it (we also just left this morning as I write this, so it’s still very fresh in my mind).  After lunch, we did get to go back to Ootu beach for a few more hours.  While there, we met a nice couple from Wales/New Zealand and chatted with them for a bit, when I was informed of a free Zumba class that night!  A bit after 4pm, we went back to the Matriki so I could quick change and Jared dropped me off at my Zumba class in town!  After an hour of fun dancing with a bunch a locals and a few tourists, Jared came back and picked me up, and we returned to the Matriki.  Oh!!  I forgot to mention, the outdoor shower!!  We had an outdoor shower attached to the bungalow, which I always think is the coolest thing.  That night we again had dinner on the balcony with a bit of wine and some coconut meat for dessert, before calling it a night.
We woke up early and had breakfast of fruit salad with pawpaw, bananas, and coconut, with honeyed toast and tea again.  That morning, we set up a lagoon tour and snorkeling.  Our tour guide, Puna, picked us up, along with everyone else at the Matriki, haha, there are only five bungalows, and all but one were taken, so it was only six people.  After picking up a few more people, we drove to his boat and set out into the lagoon.  The lagoon is spotted with a few islands.  Our first stop was Honeymoon Island, where we offloaded a few people who didn’t want to snorkel while the rest of us snorkeled just off its coast.  The water was sooooo flippin perfect, but to be honest the snorkeling was a bit lackluster.  It was awesome to see the water so clear; you could see for ages, and I feel like such a snob saying this, but we’ve been to at least a handful of places with more vibrant sea life, most recently, the Great Barrier Reef.  I KNOW, I KNOW!!! I’m being a snob; I told you I was, I just had to be honest.  Anyway, after snorkeling, we drove in the boat to One Foot Island, where we had lunch, which was really really good.  Tons of food like grilled tuna, taro leave, fried rice, curried pawpaw, salad, potato salad and more.  Again, Jared and I ate a bit more than our share, but there were leftovers!  After a bit of beachside digestion, we headed out for our last snorkel spot off of One Foot Island.  Jared and I opted out of snorkeling and instead just frolicked in the perfect water.  A bit before 4pm, we all headed back to shore in the boat.  Puna dropped us off at Matriki again.  We had both gotten a bit too much sun that day despite being a fanatic with sunscreen; I even wore a hat, my rash guard, and my sarong for a bit.  Luckily, neither of us was terribly burnt, just very sun kissed.  That evening, Jared became coconut master by shucking, cracking, and extracting the meat from four coconuts for us to use.  I made coconut rice and we drank sweet tea that I had made early while we munched on some of our coconut.  I took a glorious shower outside, before walking on the beach a bit with Jared before settling in for sunset.  That night there was a drum and dance show at a hotel down the beach from us, so we got ready and walked down the beach with some wine and watched the show.  I again got pulled up at the end of the show.  Afterward, we walked back to our bungalow and got ourselves ready to fly out the next morning.  Wahhh!
That next morning (today as I write this), we woke up early and had a nice leisurely breakfast before cleaning up the bungalow a bit and finishing up packing our things.  We got a ride to the airport and got back on the 45 minute plan ride to Rarotonga.  We sit in the airport now awaiting our next Pacific Island adventure.  I think if I had to leave this place and go back home, I would cry.  I’m just hoping that our next places are as awe inspiring and as the Cook Islands have been to us.  I think we discovered where God vacations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment